So now I've been in Utrecht for about 2 and a half days. Utrecht is a 30 minute train ride from Amsterdam. It's one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands. Let me break it down day by day:
August 5th (Wednesday): I got to the Netherlands. The flight was a bit hellish. I couldn't sleep on the 10 hour flight from SFO to LHR. Then I had a 1 hour layover. . .this one hour layover was BS. Heathrow SUCKS. . Even through I had just gotten off a plane, I had to get through security AGAIN then get on the plane to Amsterdam. The problem was theat the doors close for the flight 20 minutes to the flight. I got on extremely exhausted. I finally got to Amsterdam a little while later and took the train to the Utrecht Centraal Station.(with my 2 giant suitcases and my carry on and my purse). I met another girl on the train and we took the taxi to the University College Utrecht Campus where we were supposed to check in. We got there at like 4:05pm and we were supposed to be there by 5. Then at 6:15 (after not having slept for about 24-26 hours) we walked to the city center .We got lost on the way to the meeting point at UCU since I live in Uithof which is part of Utrecht but not even on the map of the city I have. So sleep-deprived me had to WALK over 30 minutes to eat pancakes (i.e. really thick crepes) for dinner. Then I took a bus with another girl and went home while other people went to bars in the city. I couldn't sleep because I was so fucking freaked out. I talked to mike on skype. I calmed down a bit but I couldn't fall asleep until 4ish
August 6th (Thursday): In the morning we had orientation for the DLC (Dutch Language and Culture Course) that's going on in Utrecht.( As interesting as this city is, I'm still going to have to take a train for two hours with all my luggage to Maastricht.) After the DLC orientation, we went into the city and I got a sim card for my phone. I like it because it's only 6 eurocents per minute to call the US. I then went to a supermarket and bought some food. Then I went back home and freaked out some more.We had a party at our apartment (on the 18th floor) and it melted with a party somebody else on our floor was having. I stayed mainly in my room being antisocial. Then I tried to go to sleep but it was too fucking HOT so I couldn't sleep.
August 7th (Friday): This morning we had a Utrecht city tour because of the gothic architecture (etc. etc.) Then we went and bought our Museum Cards and I went back home, got my stuff for the Maastricht orientation and got there half an hour early and got reimbursed for the museum card.I felt bad because since I was sick I kept falling asleep for a few seconds at a time.
We then once again came back, I hung out in my room then went downstairs to the 7th floor and hung out with some people. We then went on a magical adventure to another building to find a gathering in another person's apartment and we were planning on going to a party on the 16th floor but I felt useless there so I was antisocial again and went to my room to write this and try to calm down a bit more (as well as get started on my reading for the course).
Other notes:
I go to maastricht in 2 weeks so I'm trying not to spend too much money now since thats where I'll be living for most of my stay. Like I said above, i'm annoyed by being in Utrecht right now because I don't want to have to worry about cleaning and repacking all my shit. I'm trying to only live out of one suitcase so I don't touch the other one. I already have a plan for when I'm moving out. The day we move out we have our final exam for the language course. It's from 12-2. We have to move out by 12. My plan is do most of my packing Thursday, wake up hella early Friday, clean and pack the rest of my stuff and be on campus by 11. Then we leave our stuff in a room while we take the exam. I will arrange for a taxi to pick me up at the UCU campus at 2:05 to take me to the train station. At the train station, I will buy a ticket to maastricht, The train leaves at 3:08 so that gives me enough time to get there, buy my ticket, etc. The train arrives in Maastricht at 5:04pm. There will be somebody from the student group Universalis there to pick me up and drive me to the Guesthouse I'm going to be living at. As far as packing goes that day, I will put as much as I can in my two larger suitcases and probably attach the carryon I used to the smaller one and put the stuff I had in there in my backpack so It'll seem lighter and less troublesome.
Also, because of my neurotic obsession with planning and time management, I've figured out how I'm going to get to the airport in December when I leave. My plane leaves Monday, I have to move out sunday, so I will arrange a taxi to take me to the train station and take the train to amsterdam. There I will get a hotel for the night and in the morning (depending on where the hotel is) either take a taxi or walk to Shipol and fly out since my plane leaves in the morning, I want to leave the hotel by 7:30 so I can be at the airport by 8. I realize this is neurotic planning on my part but I'm and aquarius sun with a taurus rising, what do you expect??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment