Friday, November 20, 2009

Forest Party, Sinterklaas, Chinese Food Night, International Mingle, ANTICI-say it-say it-PATION

The events since I last wrote have been rather interesting:

Last Friday ( November 13th), I hadn't had any actual plans but I got a facebook message from Paul saying they were doing a campfire thing in the forest. Yes, Maastricht has a forest (home sweet home lol) and on the way there, I accidentally went the wrong way, i.e. up the wrong street for about 15 minutes and since I didn't have a bike at that point, i had to walk the entire way. so Paul's phone wasn't working so I called the other guy who was organizing it, Thomas, he vaguely told me where to go but after a while his phone had stopped working so I called Weike and she was lost in the forest as well so I waited and waited and then Thomas showed up and walked with me to the campfire. It was hilarious and the forest was really muddy so I ruined my boots (they were close to the end anyways) so I showed up there with a 6pack of beer and a liter and a half of sangria. Once we'd all drank a wee bit, we decided to play marco polo . . drunk . . in a forest. . .on a cliff. . . at night. . . .that was a brilliant idea. I of course had to explain the game but it was funnier that way. Then we played (pardon the mispelling) oxenbak (basically red light green light). originally the sangria was going to be the punishment but then we would have kept losing on purpose. Then we attempted to climb up into this wierd crevice, I failed but Paul and Weike chilled up there while i sat and drank sangria. Drunken nights in the forest=fun

Saturday (November 14th) we saw sinterklaas. He's the Dutch version of Santa Clause. It was raining so the 4 of us had to buy cheapass umbrellas. Mine broke within about 20 minutes but it still got the job done. After seeing Sinterklaas arrive in Maastricht with his helpers, We went and bought ingredients for pepernoten which are Dutch cookies and we went to Weike's house to make and eat pepernoten, hot chocolate and a shitload of candy. DEEE-LISH! Armed with our pepernoten, candy, and hot chocolate the now 6 of us (5 girls and Paul LOL) watched Alles is Liefde, a Dutch Romantic comedy similar to Love Actually but set around Sinterklass time and freakin amazing. It was soooo good. I think walked back home (yes walked since my bike was still out of order) and rested. After that silly resting thing, I went with a bunch of Italians and Matthew to Take One, which is a beer bar. . .erm a beer tasting bar. The owner is hilarious: extremely raunchy and refers to customers as victims. He asked what your taste is and surprises you with a beer you'll enjoy and he was correct for my choice because my beer was yummy. Since I didn't have my bike, I rode Matthew's and he rode on the back of someone else's. Then I wanted to leave before he did so he graciously lent me his bike so I wouldn't have to walk all the way back since this bar was on the other side of the river. Maybe he does deserve to be my substitute fake big brother. . .

I also decided to make a chinese food night. . . i.e. cook chinese food (because I freakin love it) for people. This night ended up being Thursday, November 19th. I invited a few people, including Ben . . who then confused my facebook event with another and invited a bunch of people. So I ended up cooking for 30 people . . .This was fun (yes fun) but a little hectic. People enjoyed the food and we had enough left over fried rice to last until sunday. The menu included dumplings, spring rolls, egg flower soup, wonton soup and fried rice. If you want me to make you something from scratch, the only things that were made from scratch were the soups and the fried rice.

Since I don't feel like splitting up the weeks of events and I'm procrastinating my damn presentation, I'll continue this entry about writing about this past week. . .i.e November 23rd-27th. The 27th being today. . .Not much has happened except for Alberto's girlfriend, Valentina visiting our corridor and International Mingle Night. Valentina came and made us real Italian risotto, It was sooo good! And she was a sweetheart. The International Mingle was basically free food and cheap drinks so we could all mingle. Funnn. . Yes, yes it was. I won a free Maastricht University hoodie. . .which is good because it's really expensive at the souvenir shop (40 euros=$60 US) I won this because I'm crazier when I'm sober rather than drunk. Let me explain: There was nobody on the dance floor and the DJ wanted people to actually party, you know? So he offered the winner of his choice a UM hoodie for dancing the best for a song (w/e) so I went up there and danced the entire song exuberantly and stuck around until he basically had no choice but to announce me the winner. . .so I got the hoodie. The DJ actually reminded me of Jared so I kept expecting a bear hug but it never came. I then, again because I'm crazy, told a stupid story to open the open mic thing they had and left very soon after ( I told the universal story of sleep deprivation with my thinking I was still asleep, singing to customers story) and went to go hang out with Greg who had just had Russian class so we attempted to remember the Russian alphabet and FAILED. Oh well.

Now, I'm attempting to work on a presentation I have to do on Tuesday but because I'm in belgium this weekend, I have to finish 95% of it today. Which I hope isn't going to be a problem as I just drank 3 times the normal serving of Turkish coffee. However, I also have to pack for the weekend. . . CARP. I'm also freaking out a bit about leaving because I'm now leaving in a little over 3 weeks. and I'm crazy about logistics so I've been obsessively planning my schedule for Sunday, December 20th and Monday, December 21st. This is what it looks like so far:
Thursday& Friday Pack like a maniac
Saturday Last bit of packing and saying goodbye
Sunday:
8am Wake Up and shower
10am quadruple check luggage
11am Leave room& Check Out
11:45 Online Check-In for Flight
12pm Leave guesthouse w/ Taxi
12:20ish get to train station, get on train to AMS
3pmish Get to AMS, take taxi to hotel
3:30ish, check in at hotel, go over details once more and then rest
10pm go to sleep
Monday:
6am Wake Up, shower, get dressed, go over details once more
8am Update facebook status, freak out a little, plan out purchases at duty free
8:45am leave hotel to go to airport, walk to airport
9am Arrive at airport
9:45am Check in luggage and get plane ticket(s)
10:15ish go through security and go to duty free shopping for cheese
11:00am board flight
11:45am flight leaves AMS to go to london
12:10am (london time): plane arrives in London
12:15-12:45 go through security AGAIN at heathrow
12:45ish-1:20ish Duty free shopping again
1:35ish board plane for SFO
5:20pm (SF Time): arrive at SFO
5:30ish PM: re-unite with parents and anybody else who came to pick me up from the airport

And there ends my neurotic planning .. .at least until I start freaking out again. . . .and back to the presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment