- I joined the Universalis Party Committee. . . .this takes some explaining: as I usually overload myself with shitloads of stuff to do in Santa Cruz, and here I'm only taking two classes at a time, I was feeling rather bored and I already finished all 5 seasons of Angel as well as caught up on all the other good shows. Universalis is the only student organization at the school and they have all these committees. . .my friend Ally joined the party committee and I decided to follow her to one for the fun of it. . hence I joined the party committee. We plan parties. Yay for us. I go to meetings once a week and we talk about shit. again Yay for us.
-I found a "substitute fake big brother" since Mike, my real fake big brother is in santa cruz, not in Maastricht with me, i needed somebody to give me bad advice except for when it actually matters so I arbitrarily appointed Matthew, a guy in my corridor to be my "substitute fake big brother" unfortunately, I had to fire him as my fake big brother today due to him not knowing what I meant when I said that Zac was the Samantha to my Carrie
Speaking of my corridor, it is rather diverse and I fucking love it. We have at least 6 different countries represented on the corridor alone: France, Italy, Australia, England, Singapore, and the U.S. There's one girl who's from two countries so it might even be 7. oooh SNAP. Oh and from within the US we have me from California, 3-5 people from New York and 2-3 people from Boston. I hope that was all correct geographic data because as we all know, I SUCK at giving directions. The corridor is kinda becoming a family but currently I feel like that awkward relative who comes to visit every once in a while because I haven't really formed strong bonds with anybody on my corridor, although Sybille is being awesome and fixing my bicycle tomorrow (story to follow in several paragraphs)
A few weeks ago, Elsa and I went shopping for boots. It was a productive day. We both got really cute new leather boots. I'm slightly in love with mine and wear them almost daily due to how comfy they are and how good they look with EVERYTHING. Continuing on the shopping topic, on Wednesday, I finally went to the damn market at the Markt (one of the big squares in Maastricht) and I bought some fruit and some delicious fresh bread and 2 new scarves. I have now begun wearing scarves daily, as well. They are not only fashionable and versatile but keep my neck warm in this cold ass weather. It is somewhat similar to santa cruz but a wee bit colder a wee bit earlier.
To further compare Santa Cruz and Maastricht please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maastricht and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz,_California
So what else? Um. . . Last weekend I went to Berlin and it was ridiculously fun. Partly due to the fact I got rather wasted. Surprisingly, despite how much I drank i did not have a hangover the next day and I did not get sick. Yay for being smart enough to drink 2 bottles of water during the evening. Lets see: we left on Friday around 3ish, hooray magical journey on the way there: due to traffic and other unforeseeable road conditions we did not get there until around 1am. On the plus side, we watched a really good movie called "Berlin Calling" it was about this Berlin DJ who got into all sorts of crazy shit. Hard to describe but I highly recommend it. It's in German but it has subtitles . That night some of us went out and I had my first turkish kebab. OMG soooooooo good. And we got drinks, I got something called a Hurricane and it was quite strong. I was a bit tipsy after just that one drink. so of course, I drunk dialed Zac. The next day, I went on a walking tour of Berlin and saw all the cool stuff: the brandenburg gate, the berlin wall, checkpoint charlie, stood over the bunker where hitler killed himself, etc. Following that lovely tour (our tour guide was fucking awesome and really hot) we went exploring and bought some souvenirs and stuff. later that day, we went to the "anti pub crawl" so it was basically a pub crawl but not the mainstream one where tourists go, the one that takes you to bars real Berliners go to. . .so the adventure began in our trying to get there since there was an issue with the train there, we kinda got fucked over in terms of trying to get there.
The pub crawl was epic enough that it deserves its own paragraph. We began on the train subway, whatever. Since in Germany, you can drink in public without consequences (i.e. it's LEGAL) so we all started the night off with a beer in the subway:

Then once we got off one stop before the one we needed because they needed to do repairs or something on a saturday at 9:30ish we went to a bus stop for the replacement bus. Of Course. By this point I had finished my .5liter of becks and decided I needed to drink something else. Perhaps rehydrate myself. So I buy a bottle of water and lo and behold, they also sell booze so I buy .2 liter bottle of 20% alcohol apple liqueur. burns so good. When we finally get to the first damn bar, we're all relieved. All 14 of us. Especially when we get our free shots. We get free shots of vodka, I down mine Yum Yum and somebody else hands me theirs saying they dont like vodka. I said something along the lines of "i have to pace myself since I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking" somebody else says "drink it" and I say "mmm. . peer pressure and take that second shot. Then I decide I want a green beer. The tour guide was talking about green beer and red beer. you can only get it in Berlin: its called "Berliner Weisse" Its basically flavored and colored beer. Doesn't taste like alcohol at all. I finish the beer and shortly thereafter we go to the next bar: this one is a Goth Bar (dark, metal music everyone wearing spikes, AWESOME) I get a mojito or some form of it and its adorable if only because instead of an umbrella it has a long toothpick looking thing with a gummy bat candy. and then we get another shot and I meet a really cool girl from Israel and we toast in as many languages as we know. (to recap: by the time we get to the second bar, I've had .5 liters of becks, .2 liter apple liqueur, 2 shots vodka, green beer, mojito and another shot) Next bar we go to I get the red beer, the other Berliner Weisse. That bar was a bit boring but meh. we then go to this cool ping pong bar where I separated from our group and went with the other group on the pub crawl cause I met this cool girl from Iceland,I didn't drink anything there though because the l knew the next bar we were going to was the absinthe bar. YUMMM. . .so of course I got absinthe at the absinthe bar. it was 80% alcohol (shiiiitttt) the way you drink it is you have a glass of absinthe, a thing of water and a spoon with a sugar cube. you dip the sugar cube in the absinthe, light the cube on fire (on the spoon) wait til it goes out, dump it in the absinthe, pour in the water, stir and drink. As soon as I drank that, I called Zac because I knew I would be incoherent in several minutes. And boy, was I ever. . . . drunk. . .so I decided I better get another bottle of water. I drank that second bottle of water and the last place we went was this really cool party where we unfortunately only stayed for a little while because the majority of people wanted to go home and I didn't want to get lost in Berlin. Hazal and I shared a cab with a cute boy from Brazil and his friend from Argentina who were staying at our hostel. They were really sweet and paid for the cab and we got there way before anybody else cause everyone else took the subway. We all went to bed and slept rather well. Then on sunday, we just went adventuring a bit more around Berlin with Phillipe, the guy who organized the trip, Kaho, Delphine, and Hazal. We left berlin around 2:30pm and got back to Maastricht around midnight. I of course found something to complain about:i left my bike over the weekend at the business faculty and we got dropped off at the guesthouse. As everyone else had walked there friday, they were happy. It was a lovely trip and I really wanna go back, I think Elsa and I might go for the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. I also wrote a bunch of postcards to people on the bus back.
Alrighty now fast forward to umm . . .thursday, I want to say. . .I start riding my bike as usual to school (yes I ride a bike, yes pigs are flying, yes hell froze over, yes Lizzy's buying a hummer and Zac's turning straight) [just kidding about that last one, thats gonna happen about 70 million lightyears after the universe implodes] So something feels off and I dont realize what until I try to turn and almost fall off. . . my back tire is completely flat so .. . . I walked it back to the shed, locked it up and walked to school .. . . the day of my presentation. Which by the way, I think went well although I may have talked a bit fast. I liked the examples I used especially the one that described my hatred of internet explorer. Astrid actually told me she thought my presentation was interesting (which is rather high praise in my opinion). The next day, it was still broken and I had no idea how to fix it. Matthew told me I needed to get the thing for the inside of the tire. . .people expect me to know these things? come on the last time before I got here that i rode a bike I was like 10. ok?So I again walked to class. Last Development Economics Tutorial. OY. I started giggling uncontrollably after trying to say something and losing my train of thought. I blame the lost train of thought on the fact that there are attractive men in the tutorial (me with my one track mind and all). Yah. then I walked home. . . again and today, I went to the store and bought the thing for my bike, and bought bread and some more fruit YUM. I start walking back, it starts raining. . .GRRRR. so I park the bike I walked to brusselspoort, go inside, buy a 3 euro umbrella from Blokker and go back to Alphie (my bike). The second I open my umbrella, it stops raining. FML, right? I get back, make french toast (YUMMM) and Kaho comes over. Today we spent approximately 6 or 7 hours STUDYING for development economics due to the fact we have a final exam worth 60% of our grade on monday. did I forget to mention that? Here there are 2 periods per semester, 2 eight week periods hence that 8th week is final exams, the first period's exams are next week. I have the development economics one monday at 1:30pm and the infonomics one tuesday at 1:30pm and my final paper regarding aquaria which is to be 12-18 pages (i have 12 just have to revise and reflect) is due by friday. OY is all I can say.
I'll update this again later when my brain isn't trying to send up white flags.

No comments:
Post a Comment